This phenomenon that we PWP's all know is not miraculous for gents knowing a
bit of neurophysiology. The neuro-system works on much levels with systems who
are antagonists of each other and together keep a state of equilibrium.  This
means that the production of the chemicals  who are involved is dependent on
the level of its antagonist. Dopamine is within the extra-pyramidal system an
antagonist of acelylcholine. In PWP's, having a low level of dopamine the
acetylcholine overrules and this causes much of the Parkinson symptoms. In the
time leva- dopa as a medicine did not exist many patient got anticholinergics
to diminish that disequilibrium.
However looking to the nervous system at large dopamine and aceltylcholine
belong to the same system: the parasympathetic. The antagonist of the
parasympathetic system is the sympathetic system, with adrenaline and
serotinine as neurotransmitters. Because of the shortage of dopamine the
parasympathetic system as a whole is dysfunctional, because the production of
acelylcholine is not enough stimulated.
The sympathetic system and the parasympathetic one are antagonists. Both are
stimulating certain functions and influence many body processes. The
sympathetic system stimulates the so-called fight-flight reaction and prepares
the body for physical activity ; higher heart rate and blood pressure, blood is
going away from the intestines to the muscles etc. The parasympathetic is
stimulating consuming activities, as eating and digesting food, sexual and
elimination ones. A Person with an active parasympathetic system feels relaxed
without necessarely feeling sleepy.
Being a PWP,means these functions can all be disturbed. However when we
differentiate between the emotions or the drives and the motor behavior by
which these drives can be fulfilled it is clear that the sympathetic emotions
the feeling of anger and anxiety are intact and that for the parasympathetic
emotions we are more dependent on our meds. So a PWP's stimulation of the
sympathetic reflexes with all the physiological consequences is unipaired. It
is the acting upon them which can be disturbed while the fine tuning of motor
funktions is impossibile. The parasympathetic drives are for a bigger part
themselves disturbed. This disequilibrium is grossly aggrandised when we are
stimulated to be anxious or agressive so aggrandising the symptoms of Parkinson.
A PWP can have any influence by avoiding stress. To my opinion however life
without any stress is not an option

n 16-7-97 18:47, in bericht
<[log in to unmask]>, Dennis Greene