Ida Kamphuis wrote:

> This phenomenon that we PWP's all know is not miraculous for gents knowing a
> bit of neurophysiology. The neuro-system works on much levels with systems who
> are antagonists of each other and together keep a state of equilibrium.  This
> means that the production of the chemicals  who are involved is dependent on
> the level of its antagonist. Dopamine is within the extra-pyramidal system an
> antagonist of acelylcholine. In PWP's, having a low level of dopamine the
> acetylcholine overrules and this causes much of the Parkinson symptoms. In the
> time leva- dopa as a medicine did not exist many patient got anticholinergics
> to diminish that disequilibrium.
> However looking to the nervous system at large dopamine and aceltylcholine
> belong to the same system: the parasympathetic. The antagonist of the
> parasympathetic system is the sympathetic system, with adrenaline and
> serotinine as neurotransmitters. Because of the shortage of dopamine the
> parasympathetic system as a whole is dysfunctional, because the production of
> acelylcholine is not enough stimulated.
> The sympathetic system and the parasympatheti
> going away from the intestines to the muscles etc. The parasympathetic is
> stimulating consuming activities, as eating and digesting food, sexual and
> elimination ones. A Person with an active parasympathetic system feels relaxed
> without necessarely feeling sleepy.
> Being a PWP,means these functions can all be

Ida,

This is a well thought out and exellent response. We need more like
this.
I have copied it to think about later.
---Milo

-
Milo V. Anderson, Ph.D.             Knowledge is free at the library;
Box 417                             bring your own contianer.
Angwin, CA
94508
voice 707 965 2508                     ODE TO A METAPHOR
fax   707 965 3148                  Ilustrations are useful,
e-mail [log in to unmask]             Or what's a meta-FOR.