Simon, I think you are right, and I would rather not have to be rationed. The
convenience of one list to check works for me, so I'd rather practice
"self-rationing" and have others do the same, to avoid having to switch
around from one list to another.  Another problem we have here, is that every
time a hot topic comes up, or a "war" or even a discussion about how the list
should be run, then we have just about everyone getting involved, increasing
the number of posts.  It reminds me of a manager I used to work for who
always wanted to have meetings to discuss productivity, and how we could make
more service calls. The meetings would often last from 8 a.m. to lunch time,
because everyone would keep the meeting running, so we did not have to go out
and work!
Whoever helped extend the meeting the longest, would get their lunch paid by
the rest of us, of course we spent two hours at lunch laughing about the
meeting. The best subject was usually a phony argument about another
technician, so the manager would have to spend time defending him! The days
before downsizing were truly the "good ol' days"!
Ken B