Bernard -

I like the idea of a JOBS list.  Dick has been on disability for 2-1/2 years
now, but managed to teach for 13 years following his diagnosis at age 37.
 There are many, many issues, as you've mentioned, that are peculiar to those
who are still young enough to be working while trying to cope with this
disease.  I wish we'd had (or known about) this list back then!

As for whether to tell one's employer about the PD:  it depends entirely on
the employer.  If you work for a large corporation, you'll be on your way out
the door as soon as they hear of the diagnosis.  You may have a job for
several more years, but you'll no longer be seen as promotable or able to
handle responsibility.  I had friends we met through a PD support group who
worked at the same corporation I did.  They had chosen, wisely I think, not
to tell our mutual employer, for the reasons I mentioned.  I worked in Human
Resources during part of my tenure for that company, so I know their fears
were well- founded.

On the other hand, the administrators at Dick's school system were very
supportive, and willing to do whatever he needed to prolong his teaching
career.

I also think it's fair, if you work for a small company, to tell your
employer.  They'll probably be much more willing to work with you than would
a large corporation.

After just voting for a JOBS list, Bernard, it occurs to me that there would
also be some advantages to keeping the topic on the main list.  For example,
we probably wouldn't subscribe to the JOBS list, now that those issues are
behind us - and are still painful for Dick.  But having "been there, done
that," as we say in the states, we might have some insights to offer those
who are just now going through it.

How's that for an equivocal answer?     Margie Swindler