Listfriends:

The discussion stimulated by Jeanne's diatribe brings to mind the
discussion that  occurred around David Boots leaving the List.  David
had been an active listmember since before I joined the list in May 1995
so I accept his criticism  with much less resistance than I do
Jeanne's.  The same with Sand Rodent.  I think they point out an
inherent problem in al list of this size.  Different  people use it for
different things  and an in-group forms which unintentionally makes the
less active people feel resentful.

The volume of messages this group produces is overwhelming and I think
most of us read them selectively.  Unless one receives their list mail
in digest form non-list e-mail can easily be overlooked.  It should be
noted that the size of the list has remained constant over the past few
months in spite of the growth of the internet.  I have talked to many
people who have been so overwhelmed by the volume that they have left
the list.

Here are a few suggestions for decreased volume.  It is so easy to
answer a personal question by hitting the reply button on the browser
that many of us forget that a reply is posted for everyone even if it
has relevance only to 1 person.  Try to send replies that you think do
not have general interest directly to the individual(s).  Try to combine
short messages- especially on the same topic into fewer posts. Also as
suggested by others label in the subject line the content of the post.

I think the last time we went through this the volume decreased
considerably for a time and then drifted upward again.

I plead guilty to most if not all of the faults I have mentioned and
will be trying my damnedest to follow my own advice.

Charlie
--
CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
MADISON, WISCONSIN