> If you are working, you should tell your employer when you are
> diagnosed with any condition, Cancer, Aids, Alcoholism, Drug
> Addiction, Mental Illness, Parkinsons.  It is critical that the
> life of someone else not be threatened by your condition.

Billy,

I am glad you added that.  In my case as a physician I told a close
colleague re my PD and asked him that if he noticed any problem with my
performance of my duties that I expected him to tell me first and if the
problem persisted to take any action necessary.  Several years later
our  single specialty group broke up and most of us became part of a
multspecialty group.  At that point I initiated and signed an
irrevocable release to all my physicians that they were to inform my new
medical director if at any point they felt that my practice of medicine
was impaired.  Also after I returned from surgery last year I agreed to
Neuropsychological testing to confirm my abilities prior to return part
time.

My present status because of the fluctuations in my condition I
voluntarily initiated a leave of absence rather than put my patients in
the position of me needing to cancel them after they had already arrived
at the office. It is very possible that I will not return to work.

I use this as an example but I also want to make clear that this was
with an extremely cooperative employer and with a long-term disability
plan that (after a lot of initial problems) gives me good financial
security.

Everyone must reach their own resolution but to get back to your
comment, Billy, the level of responsibility of the job certainly must be
taken into account.

Charlie
CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
MADISON, WISCONSIN