To Debbie White
My name is Sue - this is my first time to participate in the Parkinsn
Digest, though I have been "tuning in" for a week or so and have found
many interesting things , some helpful and some parallel to my own
experiences. I was diagnosed with PD about 9 yrs. ago after a couple of
"suspicious"  years of mild tremors.  I was on Sinemet (25/100, 3 x/day
for 3 or 4 yrs. and didn't notice much change. When tremors began to
increase some, Dr. added Eldepryl.  I didn't notice much change so
didn't continue with it after about 1 yr.  In '93 (?) my Sinemet was
increased to 50/200 (3 x/day). After a couple of yrs., I began having
breathing problems - Dr. had not known anyone with similar problems. My
best description was thinking of blowing up a big balloon inside a small
box and not being able to blow it big enough.  My respiration was rapid
and I became VERY tired,  lasting anywhere from 20 minutes to several
hours!  This is a long way round to get to my main reason for writing
this.  I would appreciate and be very interested in more detail
regarding your mother's "breathing difficulties".
        When I cut back to only 2 Sinemet 50/200, a.m. and p.m., I managed to
avoid problems.  Neurologist thought perhaps over-medication was the
culprit, so he switched me gradually to Permax about 5 or 6 months ago.
At first it seemed  to eliminate the breathing problems. However, 6 or 8
weeks ago, short (20-30 min.) episodes began again.  I am now "weaning"
from Permax to Mirapex (Pramipexole)(.25mg Permax & .125 mg Mirapex 3
x/day) for 1st week and building  up Mirapex to a max. of 4.5mg / day
and eliminating the Permax.  My neurologist has been very generous with
his "start-up samples" and we have info about contacting our insurance
carrier to get Mirapex added to the formulary list to enable us to
"co-pay" when we have to get it with prescription.
        Some of this long epistle may answer other questions for some; mainly I
would like to know more about your mother's experience, Debbie.
Sue Kendall