On 07/17/97 Elizabeth Wands asked:

... since the feeling is no two people develop PD in the same way,
>how, on earth, can stages be set?  Do you say to yourself, o.k. now I
>have this I must be in sta. ge 2, or whatever What are the peramiters
>for the different stages?

Elizabeth:

The Unified Parkinson Disease Rating Scale (UPDRS), provides a detailed
evaluation tool for determining where a PWP stands in the progression of the
disease. This scale, developed in 1987 and since refined, has supplemented
the older and much less detailed Hoehn and Yahr rating system.

The UPDRS system is divided into six sections:
 I. Mentation, Behavior and Mood
 II.Activities of daily living (ADL)
 III. Motor Examination
 IV. Complications of therapy
 V. Modified Hoehn and Yahr Staging (Five stages)
 VI. Schwab and England  Activities of Daily Living Scale ( which assigns a
percentage value to each degree of dependency that had been determined.

Each of the these sections is divided into a number of different aspects of
that part of the problems of PD. Each of these sub-categories in the first
four sections includes a detailed rating scale from 0 to 4 for each item
that the neuro can use to assess a patient. These cover all of those
familiar things the neuro asks a PWP to perform, the finger taps, the
walking, the rising from a chair, etc. Even a lay person can get a pretty
good idea where a PWP stands by using this rating scale. (When I printed a
copy of the scale it took 6 pages. It is quite detailed.)

One source is: http://www.mssm.edu/neurology/wemove/pdrscale.html

Martha Rohrer (CG for Neal 77/12}