>>> BMIS08 <[log in to unmask]>
07/18/97 04:15am >>>
>Hey, thanks.  I tried to get my father to take lecithin before
>but he was not up for it.  Do these natural things conflict or
>interact with drugs (the ever-popular Sinemet or Maripex,
>say)?
>>JH<<

Dear JH:

Lecithin/choline, being a natural substance, does not
adversely interact or conflict with Sinemet.

However, Dr. Roger C. Duvoisin, M.D. points out that
acetylcholine and dopamine are both neurotransmitters.  He
believes that dopamine, in a normal brain, acts to restrain the
activity of acetylcholine neurons.  Dr. Duvoisin opines that
too much acetylcholine in a dopamine depleted brain (PD)
will contribute, in some manner, to PD symptoms.

Dr. Duvoisin points to the effectiveness of anticholinergic
drugs (Artane, Cogentin) in the limited, early  treatment of
PD symptoms - tremor and rigidity.  He recommends against
the use of lecithin in PD patients.

Stephan 53/7   <[log in to unmask]>