Just came from the pharmacy to pick up a drug insert on mirapex.  I was
concerned as Mel is on Permex and the ND did not wean him off--left him on
Permex.  Started Mirapex first dose yesterday.
The Pharmacist read the entire insert before giving it to me.  There was
nothing concerning taking the agonist (Mirapex or Permex) together.  It
mentioned the research done on PDers who were on levodopa, selegidine,
cimetidine, probenecid, with no interactions among them except to say the
cimetidine , a known inhibitor of renal tubular secretion of organic bases
via the cationic transport system, caused a 50% increase in mirapex AUC and a
40% increase in half-life.
I don't know what AUC means.
It does mention use with caution in cardiovasculr or renal disease patients.
 Mel has chronic renal disease.  Last BUN was 56 and creatinine was 3.3 so we
will watch for buildup of the medicine in his system since he only has 50%
function anyway.  Most elderly have renal function (kidney function) less
than when young anyway and the studies were done on advanced PD as well as
newly diagnosed PD and Mriapex seems good for either.
Since the beginning dose is usually not at a therapeutic level anyway, I will
not worry and let his ND decide that.  Only difference I see is somnolence
(sleepiness) but he's only had 3 doses so might be coincidental.
I was interested in getting back to Sid but thought it best to send to all.