Jacob Drollinger wrote:

> Does anyone know the difference, if any, between a damaged neuron and a dead
> neuron?
> I am asking because the reports on GPI say that it is supposed to regenerate
> "Damaged" neurons. The neurons in my globus pallidus; the ones that were
> injured by the CO poisoning are presumably dead.
> Thanks to anybody with an answer.
>
> Jacob (26, '88)
Jacob,

I do not have an answer to your specific question but I do an have an
answer to a realated question which is pertinent to your interest. The
question is: In typical PD are the neurons really dead? I read a
resaerch report from one of the national organizations which seemed to
indicate that in PD the neurons were not dead but they stopped producing
dopamine for some reason as yet unknown. If true that would change the
question from: What initiated the apoptosis? to  Why are the neurons no
longer producing dopamine?  I don't believe the  answer is known to any
of these questions. We need more research.

---Milo  72/dx4.5/9

--
Milo V. Anderson, Ph.D.             Knowledge is free at the library;
Box 417                             bring your own contianer.