----------
> Fra: Bernard JOLY <[log in to unmask]>
> Til: Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN <[log in to unmask]>
> Emne: PD's guests
> Dato: 19. juli 1997 07:29

> *** Hello Bernard, if you don`t mind it, I`ll reply int his way!! and
also ask questions!! . It is a very interesting subject you have brought up
to the list.

 PD is generally associated with "old" and "retired" people. This is only
true
> for 50% of PWP's
*** I didn`t thaught the  % was so high?? In Denmark we are about 6-7000
PWP and the % is about 10%. It means abouy 600-700 younger PWP  dx. beore
55. Is there so much differens between US and Denmark??

> The other 50% are diagnosed before the age of 55. They are granted with a
> triple priviledge : their PD will last longer, they will be short of
money,
> and they will have to face a social identity problem.
>
> PD will cause professional life will go decrescendo, over several
decades,
> more or less like this :
>
>         Phase 1 : Symptoms are relatively mild, and can be hidden while
working
>         Phase 2 : Symptoms become a serious, unpredictable handicap at
work
>         Phase 3 : The patient cannot work whatsoever

> Having stopped working, your income will be reduced to a very low level,
> unless you have a good insurance, or your country has a sophisticated
Social
> Security system, or your employer is really generous. As an extreme
example,
> we have friends from Russia who know Russian PWP's who cannot afford the
drugs
>*** In fact it`s terrible hearing that,  even I try to follow what`s going
on in other countries I know too little about which possibilities pwp have
for help in e.g. U.S?

> Having stopped working, you will become nobody : no status, no title, no
> dinners, no success, no failure, no nothing ! We all have to go through
> identity problems when you retire, but in the case of early PD, we have
> show our wisdom much earlier.
***I think you must not generalize - but I can follow you, BUT there are
differens between people, and also among men and woman. I don`t know if I`m
right - but I have observed that men about 40 -48 age are more unwilling to
accept that they maybe can`t work anymore??

> When diagnosed early, PD comes with two friends : money and identity. You
> should identify these unwelcome guests and start fighting now, with top
> priority
>

> Do you agree ?
*** YES I DO.

Regards