At 08:41 PM 7/18/97 -0400, Elizabeth Johnson wrote:
>Hi everyone
>
>I am looking for any information on a drug I have read about in
>"Parkinson's Australia" magazine which gave next to no information.
>
>The drug - used in India is made from Mucuna pruriens beans and is
>used in the treatment of Parkinson's as HP-200
>
>If anyone has any info on how and where to obtain the drug or more
>information please contact me at [log in to unmask] - any information
>would be appreciated. Thanking you,
>Elizabeth Johnson

Elizabeth,

There was also an article about HP-200 in the Parkinson Magazine, 1997,
Issue 8, published by EPDA, European Parkinson's Disease Association.  The
article was written  by Bala V. Manyam et al. of Southern Illinois
University (www.siumed.edu).  His vita is impressive.

This quote from the article may be appropriate:

"With funding from the U. S. National Institutes of Health, a study of the
anti-Parkinsonian effect of Mucana in an animal model of Parkinson's
disease was undertaken.  Compared with about the same amount of synthetic
levedopa, Mucana bean powder showed that the presence of levedopa alone did
not explain the anti-Parkinsonian effect."

and...

"HP-200 was released to the general public in India in 1994.  It may be
some time before the drug is available elsewhere."

My interest, Elizabeth, was sparked by a television show, "Calling Dr.
Whitaker," on the Trinity Broadcasting Network here in the United States.
See also http://www.calling-dr-whitaker.com/  Donald Whitaker, O.D., had
two shows dealing with Parkinsonism.  A person in my therapy group saw them
both, but recorded only the second.  Two men from England, patients of a
Dr. Greenstein (?) there, are shown before and after taking a natural
levedopa, and the effect is profound.  Is it the same HP-200?  I can't say.

Whitaker sells vitamins, and you get the impression that he'd like to be
selling this natural levedopa as well.  My calls to his office in
Jefferson, Texas, have been futile so far.  His telephone operators don't
seem to know a thing about it.

I'll keep trying, and maybe with your help and the help of others on this
list (Margaret Tuchman has already been a great help) we'll learn more.

Art

Arthur Hirsch [] [log in to unmask] [] Lewisville, TX
  [   Always Remember This:                    ]
  [   Happiness Is Right, So Choose Happiness  ]