Ida Kamphuis wrote:

> Charles,
>
> I did not know the concept of akathesia and neither can I find any description.
> because it seems to have something in common with my wearing off dyskinesia I
> am interested to have a desciption of the symptom and the meds who might
> trigger it. I know it is difficult to decribe things like that and to determine
> the amount of resemblance visual cues are more usefull.
> I looked for the meaning of the word and I found the Greek word "kathemai"
> which means to sit quiet. Akathesia might mean not being able to sit quiet.
> That seems an understatement when it touches on dysk.
> The partial similarity of my dysk. and the restless leg syndrome has never
> impressed me much, because the dysk. does not exist without leva-dopa.
>
>                                       Ida Kamphuis
>                                           Holland
>
> > Bruce & Phil;
> >
> > Actually Phil is probably more correct in labeling what he experiences
> > as akathesia.  As a psychiatrist I have run into it quite a bit in the
> > use of dopamine blocking neuroleptic drugs which at the same time can
> > produce dystonia + cogwheel rigidity.  I have not run into it with PD
> > but I presume it occurs since the neuroleptics produce a
> > pseudoparkinsonism.  What medications were you taking when it started.
> > Are you sure it is not dyskinesia- which has a lot of similarities to
> > akathesia)?
> >
> > CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
> > MADISON, WISCONSIN

IDA: Let me put my two cents worth in also. Akathesia is the inability
to sit (or stand) still, but it is also a feeling of inner restlessness
that is difficult to describe. Charlie is correct in stating that it is
usually caused by Antipsychotic (Neuroleptic) drugs that block Dopamine.
It can usually be counteracted by anticholinergic drugs such as
Cogentin, Artane and sometimes Symmetrel.Again the Dopamine &
Cholinergic systems are out of balance.                Jerry Starr,
RPh.