Hi,

     Forwarding for all:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 22 Jul 97 9:17:12
From: Natalie Kontakos <[log in to unmask]>
To: John Poupore <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Parkinsons and Smoking

About PD and # who quit smoking....there is a pretty good article; Smoking and
Parkinson's disease by Mayeux et al. Movement Disorders Vol 9 (2) 1994 p.
207-212. The abstract states that significantly more PD patients than controls
had quit smoking. Their analyses show that the number of patients and controls
with a history of smoking is the same where as more controls smoke at the time
of the interview. An interesting argument against the smoking protects from PD
(Gradinetti et al. (Honolulu follow up study, plus numerous other studies) :
this one is stating that  PD (probably during the preclinical phase) reduces
smoking.

Natalie Kontakos

PS: for some reason I am having difficulty sending messages to the entire
listserv. IF you think that others would liek to see this brief message please
forward it to the listserv. Thanks.

---
     All You Touch And All You See      [log in to unmask]     ____
     Is All Your Life Will Ever Be.     (315) 461-0414            /    \
     I think, therefore I am confused!  John G. Poupore          | O  O |
     Live Long And Prosper, for I shall do neither.               \ || /
     All I can say is that my life is pretty plain                 |++|
     I like watching the puddles gather rain                        --
     Homepage Design Consultant:   http://www.cooltime.com