Camilla and Peter:
I missed most of the postings between 6/25 and 7/15.  I have
a vague recollection of your description of Peter's new
symptoms concerning the involuntary biting of his tongue.   I,
too have begun to experience lower jaw cramping, biting of
the tongue (very painful) and slight shaking of the lower jaw.

My self-diagnosis (since I haven't yet reported this to my
neuro) is DYSTONIA ["sustained, abnormal, painful,
tightening of muscles"] and not Dyskinesias ["abnormal,
involuntary movements"].  Since dystonia is attributed to the
"wearing-off" of medication (under the umbrella of "Motor
Fluctuations") doctors usually prescribe a change in dosage
or pattern of dosage, or the addition of an agonist at bedtime.
I am going to self-adjust the timing of my third (last) dose of
Sinemet CR 50/200 from 4 p.m. to  6 p.m. to see if that
helps.

[In VOL.18, ISSUE 3, of the Parkinson Report, published by
the Nat'l Park. Found., Dr. Juan R. Sanchez-Ramos, M.D.,
advised a PWP complaining of "...spastic jerking of the lower
jaw and biting of the skin inside the lower jaw...", who had
tried a mouth guard, that the abnormal movement of the jaw
was a "wearing off" symptom and the PWP should try
Sinemet CR 50/200 at bedtime.]

Since the object of the medication is to increase "on time"
and alleviate the symptoms the replacement of Parlodel or
Permax with Pramipexole (Mirapex) should relieve the
dystonia and increase Peter's "on time."   Pramipexole is
touted as particularly effective for advanced patients.

You mention that Peter does not tolerate dopamine agonists
well.  For those PWP doctors have been moderately
successful with Artane or even muscle relaxants (Flexeril).

Good luck.
Stephan Schwartz 53/7  <[log in to unmask]>