Hi L. Gray Miller:
>>> L. Gray Miller <[log in to unmask]> 07/21/97
you wrote: >>>
>>>I read the DATAPOP study results for the Eldepryl trials
and was not impressed. The study indicated that, if helpful,
Eldepryl provided 9 months delay in the need to begin
sinemet. Given the cost of eldepryl and its marginal benefit
and side effects, I decided not to take it.  Incidentally, I tried
eldepryl for 2 weeks and had terrible head aches from it.<<<

   The results of the Birkmeyer study found that patients who
took 10 mg of selegiline along with levodopa survived 29
months longer than those on levodopa alone.  The conclusion
was that selegiline caused an increase in life expectancy.
   The normal dosage is 5 mg with breakfast and 5 mg with
lunch to minimize the side-effect of insomnia.  It is now
believed that a dose of 5 mg per day is adequate to inhibit
MAO-B.   Monoamine Oxidase (MAO) is the major enzyme
responsible for the breakdown of dopamine in the brain.
    HOWEVER, the package insert with Eldepryl
recommends not to take more than 10 mg daily.  This is
probably because it was shown that too much MAO inhibitor
[over 10 mg] caused the "cheese effect" i.e.,  in combination
with other medications and foods (dairy) produces sudden
increases in blood pressure [NOTE:  which could produce
those "terrible headaches" you complained of].  Perhaps you
should talk to your neurologist about taking only 5 mg a day,
and avoid dairy products in the a.m.
    The general medical conclusion about selegiline is that it
prolongs the effect of dopamine and improves motor
fluctuations.

Stephan 53/7   <[log in to unmask]>