From: Tebay, Wendy M on Tue, Jul 22, 1997 5:36 PM
Subject: Sharp Criticism of NIH Alternative Medicine Office
To: PD Listserv Postings

To abolish the OAM would be ignorant, in my humble opinion.  It's
purpose is to give scientific validity to what some believe to be
hocus-pocus medicine (some is, some isn't - that's the whole point -
to weed out the bogus stuff and find the useful).  Even many
prestigious medical schools are incorporating coursework in
alternative medicine into their curriculea.  I think the AMA did a
study not long ago which concluded that a very large percentage of
Americans use alternative medicine, and a large part of them do so
without telling their primary physician.  I believe that one is
ignorant to condemn that which one knows little or nothing of, so I
intend to keep my neuro totally informed of everything I do for
treating my pd.  Then he has no excuse.   Only then, when he is as
familiar with these therapies as I am, will I accept his opinions
completely.  Otherwise, I'll gladly listen to them, but I will take
them with a critical mind, just as I do when I read the info that is
pro-alternative medicine.  I don't accept or reject anything
uncategorically.

For example,  I personally wouldn't even think of giving my expert
opinion on the design of jet fighters, when I happen to design
satellites.  Although I know the basics of engineering, and thus could
learn how to design the other, it would be ignorant for me to say I
knew whether or not a proposed fighter design made any sense.  If I
were a doctor, I would be excited about the opportunity to increase my
knowledge and learn all that I could about ALL aspects of medicine.  I
would be thrilled to learn more, both to help my patients better, and
because I love to learn.   The more knowledge one has of something,
the better able they are to make a sensible judgement on it.

I also think the fact that patients hide what they are doing from
their MD's only propagates the situation.  If Dr's really knew ALL of
the therapies their patients were undergoing, it'd be alot easier for
them to see trends that might reveal which alternative therapies were
useful for a given condition and which ones might be dangerous or
useless.

Anyway, I think all of us should research everything we can on pd, and
keep our Dr's informed of what we learn and what we try.  They are
busy and there is an overhwelming amount of info out there, so we've
got to do our part in "educating" them, so to speak.  Maybe that way
we can see better where the research dollars should go, over the
entire range of possible therapies.

Wendy Tebay