to Ken B, We had the same experience as your parents. NH staff try very hard,
but they really can't handle the constant care a PD patient needs, especially
if he has extreme postural hypotension and dementia as my husband has. I made
the decision to take him home with full-time help in November of last year.
With the help of pro-amatine for his hypotension and aricept for his
 dementia and the wonderful young men who attend   him all the time, he is
now walking on his own and shows an interest in life that he hasn't shown for
a long time. The cost of a full-time helper is about the same as the nursing
home- alot- but the improvement in the patient and in my mental outlook is
unbelievable. I know that this is not an option for everyone, but for us, it
has been  the best decision we ever made. Since the NH, we(all three of us)
have spent 2 weeks camping in the desert and  three weeks at Yosemite
National Park. We eat out at least once a week. We attend support groups and
are planning to go to the movies today. Our helper takes Ken to the gym 3X a
week to work out. All this with a man  who was in a NH unable to stand or
speak last October. I have arthritis and was told by the doctor that I'd have
a broken hip if I continued to try to take full care of my husband since he
falls so easily. The doctor suggested the NH and indicated that perhaps
walking was no longer an option. Now all we hear when we visit the doctor's
office is "Wow, look  at him". We may end up in the poor house, but that
would happen either way, and this feels so much better. My husband is even
smiling again.

                                                                      Barbara
Smith, CG/ Ken/69/16