----------
> Fra: Heather Elizabeth Baird <[log in to unmask]>
> Til: Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN <[log in to unmask]>
> Emne: Re: brain pacemaker
> Dato: 23. juli 1997 04:50
>
> Here is an article from Medtronic:
> 1. A hole is drilled through the skull and an electrode is
> implanted into the thalamus, a walnet sized region that controls
> movement.
> 2. A wire runs under the scalp, down to the collarbone, where a
> pulse generator is implanted.
> 3. The generator sends constant tiny electrical shocks to the
> thalamus.  Brain signals that cause tremor are blocked or
> overridden.
> 4. The patient can program the generator by an external unit and
> turn it on and off by running a magnet over the chest.
>
> The operation to install the device takes 5 hours and costs
> $25,000
>
> Shakes disappear for half the users.

*** Hello Billy,
this surgery - DEEP BRAIN EL-STIMULATION - has taken place in Aarhus
Denmark for about a year, one of my good pwp friends got it last year.
Until now about 12  pwp and as far as I know 1 with essentil tremor. ALL -
1 with PD it means 11 pwp has stopped shaking and only 1 wasn`t succesful.
The surgery costs about 50.000 Danish crowns I`m told maybe a little more
(1000 d. crown = 675 US dollar).

Sonia N
Denmark

NEVER GIVE UP