Stephan,

At 14:50 22/07/97 -0400, you wrote:

>The results of the Birkmeyer study found that patients who
>took 10 mg of selegiline along with levodopa survived 29
>months longer than those on levodopa alone.  The conclusion
>was that selegiline caused an increase in life expectancy.

Unfortunately, there has also been a more recent study (reported in the
British Medical Journal) that states entirely the opposite when the drug was
combined with Levodopa.  Some people have said the study was flawed.  I hope
so, but the figures were such that one should at least consider them when
making decisions.  I do not offer my opinion on this, but simply point out
how difficult it is to get at the truth.

>The general medical conclusion about selegiline is that it
>prolongs the effect of dopamine and improves motor
>fluctuations.

All reports seem to be in full agreement on this, thank goodness.  I
certainly found it worked well for me.

Ernie.
Ernie Peters <[log in to unmask]>