_____________________________________
From: Natalie Kontakos on Wed, Jul 23, 1997 3:22 PM
Subject: Re: Mohammed Ali
To: Tebay, Wendy M

Hi Wendy,

There is a gene-environment interaction with Alzheimer's disease.
Recent
studies have found that individuals with the Apolipoprotein E e4 gene
who have
had head trauma have a much higher risk of Alzheimer's diseae than
those
without the gene who have had head trauma. I think that a certain
proportion of
boxers may have ApoE e4 but I don't think that this frequency is
higher in
boxers (ie. I don't think that a gene like ApoEe4 predisposes you to
box).
Whether or not there is a similar relationship with Parkinson's ???
(ApoEe4 has
consistently shown to be unrelated to PD but an interaction between
smoking and
the MAOB gene has been reported)

Natalie Kontakos

Feel free to forward this to the list. I have trouble posting things
everyone and can only respond to individuals.

Wendy.M.Tebay @ LMCO.COM ("Tebay, Wendy M (MSMAIL)")
07/22/97 07:41 PM