Hillie wrote:>

Hi everyone!
>My father (75) has PD. His problem is his head. He says that the feeling
is
>very hard to describe - it is like something presses his head from
outside.
>The feeling is stronger in standing.
>His  PD treatment started about year ago. Now he takes Madopar '125' HBS
>twice a day.
>        Is this feeling connected with PD? What to do?  If you know
something
>about that, please, write!
>        Hille

Hille,

For the first time since joining this list, I am receiving my mail
remotely.
My access to a phone (it's ALWAYS tied up here) is limited so I don't know
how quickly I can get this out. However, I wanted to tell you that I
described your father's problem to my mother and she (who in the past was
unable to explain her head problems adequately) said, "Yes. That's what I
felt."

I posted questions about this myself awhile back. My mother (Joyce, 67/5
months) is on Sinemet 25/100 4x/day, Permax .25 mg. 4x/day, and an
antidepressant. She remembered that the head problems predated the
medication, so we summed it up to PD. It was among her most bothersome
feelings. She didn't notice a difference when standing or sitting -- it was
always there. But she just told me that now that she thinks about it, she
hasn't had the head problem and she thinks it disappeared around the time
she started taking antidepressants (started about 1.5 weeks ago). At the
time she started the antidepressant, other things happened (my father ended
up in the hopital for a week for heart problems -- I am visiting them now)
and she feels that dealing with that was so distracting that it might have
in part contributed to the disappearance of the head symptoms.

I'd like also to say that I was surprised she started on the
antidepressant.
She never seemed depressed to the point where medication would be necessary
(having been a user of antidepressants in the past myself, I didn't
recognize similar symptoms in my mother at all). However, when her doctor
asked how things were mentally, she said she felt a bit stressed. All in
all, I think the antidepressant was a good idea.

Also, a few weeks ago I posted about my mother's breathing difficulties.
Her
doctor cut back on the Permax a bit, and since then she hasn't had the
shortness of breath. She did, however, end up undermedicated and built up
the full Permax dose and is on it now without any difficulties.

Finally, (I know this is long) two questions: (1) I know that a good
reaction to Sinemet is almost part of the PD diagnostic tool kit. Is this
true of agonist such as Permax, too? That is, if one reacts well to it,
does
that suggest that the disease is PD? (2) Being with my mother has made me
aware of just how much her life revolves aorund drugs. She doesn't always
sleep sucessfully and needs to wake up early anyway to take a drug for her
bones that needs to go in 1 hour before eating or drinking (or the
Sinemet).
Sometimes she is exhausted at night but must stay up for that 10:30 p.m.
dose of Permax. The other night she finally just took it at 9:30 (she had
been at the hospital with my father, which was exhausting). I'm wondering
how flexible you can be with Permax. I suggested going to bed early and
then
setting an alarm for 10:30, but she was afraid she's never get back to
sleep. Any suggestions about this?

Thanks in advance.

(Don, don't stop saying anything. I find it all interesting and your patio
updates gave me just the push I needed to get on my husband about some work
that needs to get done around here!)

Debbie White

Debbie White