I think the main point Ken R. was trying to make was that "professional"
boxing is a brutal sport, and do we want to be identified with it.  It has
evolved into a stupid sport, in my opinion, and lately has attracted the
worst kinds of promoters and some of the worst kind of boxers (rapists,
cannibals).  However, Ali is from a different era and I think is a good rep
for us (although some Veterans might disagree).  He's well-respected and
liked all around the world.  I recall the days of Ali/Howard Cosell when
Ali's human qualities and intelligence were shown to the public.
        Also, I think Ken R. was commenting on the fact that some of the less
enlightened members of Congress, or others,  might start to get confused
and think PD was caused by acts committed by the PWP.  There aren't
universally America's most thoughtful persons, but they aren't that stupid.
Nonetheless, it was a legitimate idea.

Don't you think there is too much rushing to judge list members who put
forth a thought that perhaps is not PC with the majority of the active
members of this list?  Is it really necessary to put people down for and
express outrage for innocently using the word "boy" or suggesting Ali could
possibly be in some remote way not a perfect person?  We might want to
consider saving our condemnations, if they are necessary at all, until the
transgressions are confirmed.  Billy Baird sounded really hurt by all the
condemnation and name-calling (the powerful word "racist" is starting to
lose all meaning it is thrown around so often) directed toward him (or
her?) for his admittedly ignorant remarks.  And he is one of us too.  His
contributions have been valuable and entertaining.  In condemnation,
someone even suggested he doesn't really exist.  The guy is starting his
fourth job in a year and should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Too many lectures.  Let's get back to business.  PLEASE DON'T RESPOND TO
THIS unless you really feel the need!
Bruce A. (51, 2.5)