Bentonite clay is volcanic ash!

 Get your dictionaries out before you put this dangerous material in
your mouth! I am an amateur geologist and I fossil hunt in deposits of
bentonite clay to find remains of extinct species of animals that were
killed by inhaling the glass shards from the volcanic clouds of dust! It
is a porous clay, produced by the decomposition of volcanic ash, that is
able to absorb much water and swell greatly as a result. I wear a face
mask when working around it.
I guess if someone will bottle and sell it...someone will buy and eat
it, but you'd have to be out of your mind!
Gail Vass, RN