Dear list,

In his long, passionatly argued response to my first posting on this
subject, Bruce Anderson ended by requesting that I did not
respond unless I felt the need to.  At the time, despite the fact
that not once did the posting address my main point, I felt no need
to respond. The persistance of the thread has, however, changed
my mind.

The postings on the subject have fallen into two groups. The first
has concentrated on the boxing issue, The second on the right of
individuals to their own opinions.

1.      Boxing

I am actually in full agreement with the view that boxing is
a terrible sport and should be banned.  That viewpoint was
a major part of the posting to which I was responding. However,
in  my opinion, the whole point of that posting was that this
was cause for the PD community to disassociate itself from PWP
who may have developed PD as a result of activities not approved
of by the majority.  My quarrel was with this PD related issue.  I did
not address my reply to the boxing issue as I did not see that my
opinion as to the brutality or otherwise of boxing was relevent.
Once we accept the principle of "culpable" PD we open Pandora's
box.  How many of us will be "2nd class PWP" before we get the
lid back on, is anybodies guess.

2.      Opinions

It goes without saying that eveyone is entitled to their own opinions.
That right relates to the individuals right to hold their own opinions. It
in no way conferes the right to express opinions unchallenged.  The
opinions I now hold (and despite my shy,retiring nature I have a few)
are not, in the main, those I held as a twenty year old.  They are
hopefully better informed today than they were back then, and they
got that way, in part, by being tested against the opinions of others.
If I express myself strongly on occassion, it is because I feel strongly.
Despite this I am more than willing to change any opinion I hold if I
can be shown where I am in error (as I say most of my opinions have
changed in the past 27 yrs, so I have had lots of practice).

If any posting of mine has frightened, brow beaten, or intimidated
anyone on this list I appologies unreservedly.  If, on occassion, I
have "played the man" and not the ball, I will endevour not to
do this in the future.  But I fully intend to take issue with any
published opinions on subjects about which I have strong contrary
views.  If this upsets anyone please feel free to let me know, publicly
or privately. insult me if you must, call me names if it makes you feel
better
(as an ex army sergeant I doubt I'll hear anything new) but if you want
to be constructive take issue with what I actually say. Don't just tell me
I'm
wrong, tell me why I'm wrong.  That way we all can grow.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 47/10
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/