Hello Stephan,

I saw your reply yesterday, but a planned day trip prevented me from
replying at once. Thanks for taking the time to dig out the information, I
am grateful.  You say, in part:

>At a symposium on PD in September 1996 in Wash., D.C.,
>Dr. Warren Olanow, M.D., Chairman of the Neurology Dept.
>at Mt. Sinai School of Medicine (NY) reported on the results
>of a reanalysis of the PDRG/UK data.  They did not find an
>increase in mortality in the levodopa-selegiline group.  Dr.
>Olanow stated that selegiline has a levodopa-sparing effect
>and may slow the progression of PD.  However, he considers
>its antiparkinsonian effects as minimal.
>
>Also, at the end of 1996, the DATATOP Steering Committee
>(of which Dr. Olanow is a member) reported that the study
>did not observe abnormal mortality attributable to selegiline.
>The researchers report that they have continued to observe
>500 test subjects for about 5 years and that data is being
>collected and analyzed.
>
>At the end of 1996, Dr. R. Pahwa, M.D., Assistant Professor
>of Neurology, at the Univ. of Kansas Med. Cntr., while
>conducting a clinical trial on pramipexole, mentioned that the
>reanalysis of the DATATOP results [not yet published]
>showed: no increase in mortality in the levodopa-selegiline
>study group.

I believe that the above 3 items are probably the most interesting,
persuasive and encouraging.  They certainly add weight to those who argue
that the UK PDRG report may be a rogue result.  I hope that the PDRG are
soon able to publish their reanalysing their data and, hopefully, reach the
same conclusion.

You end by saying:

>Ernie,  my friend, I hope this information sheds some light on
>the subject and adds to our understanding of the disease and
>its treatment.
>Stephan  53/7

Stephan,

In writing to the group, I am always concious of the fact that I should
always try to avoid being negative or upset anyone.  People can easily take
offence if an opposite point of view is taken, even though none is intended.
It did concern me that you might have taken umbrage at my attempt to get a
balanced view and dig out a little more information on the subject.  I need
not have worried, your helpful and composed replies have reinforced my
belief of the power and potential of this list.

Yes, I am sure that we have shed some light on the subject.  The more we
learn about this disease, the better we can deal with it.

Stay well Stephan, I wish you the best.

Ernie. 54/3.8
Ernie Peters <[log in to unmask]>