On Fri, 25 Jul 1997 00:10:55, George Andes wrote:
>Several recent posts to this list have been complaints,
>not complaints about the list, but complaints about our
>common condition, Parkinsons.  The person complaining often
>sounds half-apologetic about his or her condiion.  Taken
>all in all this list has well over 1000 PWP in various
>stages of affliction, from the trembling green recruit
>clutching for any word of assurance that things won't
>really become as bad as rumor has it, to the grizzled
>and battle weary veterans who know the truth first-hand.

george

this is a subject i've been mulling about for a long time
during those enforced pauses when my meds have kicked out
and i can do nothing much but rest and think

i do believe that everything that happens to us
happens for a purpose
good or bad
all experiences are given to us to learn from

if i can accept this
and expect life to be a difficult challenge rather than easy
then i find my attitude changing from
'poor me! why is life so unfair?'
'okay, okay... so what in heck am i supposed to be learning now?'

when a couple of friends described me as courageous
my sister's reaction made me laugh:
she shot back,
'she doesn't have courage, she has parkinson's!'

isn't maturity supposedly recognising reality
and dealing with it to the best of our ability?

and if it's a lesson
why not make it as positive a learning experience as possible?

admittedly
my perspective on the future of this disease
[as a relative newbie of 9 years] in 1997
is a far cry from the 'grizzled and battle weary veterans'

but then again, i can't predict the future
why sour today with self torments about me and pd in 2007?
i might be hit by a truck tomorrow!
and then would have 'wasted' the joys of today

>And yet, the number of posts complaining about our situation,
>bleak as it may be, are relatively few.
>Are we really that brave or stoical?

my soapbox theories about our society's brainwashing
now rush to the fore, again!

it's not generally considered 'acceptable'
to talk about negative emotions
it's regarded as a sign of weakness
not being a good sport
not keeping your chin up
not letting your side down
something to be ashamed of

>The Brian Collins's, Camilla Flinterman's, Charlie Meyer's,
>.... have found a new avocation in helping all of us.

i value this 'connection' more than most
in my isle-olation
but i also look on this 'extended cyber family'
as a miracle of our time

maybe this 'family' is the real lesson here
not pd
who knows?
i know i have no regrets
and wouldn't change a thing in the curriculum so far

>The recent few complaints have concerned sleep...
>I don't move or turn over in my sleep and more than two hours
>in the same position (left side, right side, or back)
>would cramp my muscles ...

i've never seen this mentioned on the list before
but it's something i've noticed as a major change in my sleep habits
since diagnosis or since medication
i think patricia yothers and i compared notes on this privately
[in fact it was the core of the 'stubby log-rolling tail']
i wonder if it's more common than just the three of us?

>I said "no," except that they don't work anymore.  He smiled at my answer.

now this gets me a tad riled
a condescending or bashful smile is of no use to anyone
might i suggest getting a second opinion?

it occurs to me
that if female hormone levels
can affect the meds or the symptoms so dramatically
why not male hormones as well?
i believe that we all, male and female, have varying amounts
of all the hormones, male and female,
as part of our individual chemical bouillabaisse

>My final words, for now, concern time. If there is any
>single symptom I would call characteristic of my PD
>it is my altered perception of time. Time just doesn't
>pass more slowly or more rapidly; it is just out of control.
>"Hours creep. Days fly."

the idea of days and months and years flying by
ever faster as we get older
i think is universal
not due to pd

if the hours creep
all the more time to extract some sweetness out of them
it's all around us

with love from your syber-sis

janet