Listfriends -

Dick (52/15) saw Dr. Koller at KU Med Center today.  We asked about taking
Mirapex.  Dr. Koller left it up to us to decide if we wanted to try it, and
gave us a sample "starter pack."  Dick will start on it first thing tomorrow.

We were cautioned that it might have the effect of worsening Dick's dystonia
and dyskinesia - two of the things we were hoping to reduce.  It sounds to me
as if it would simply act like too much dopamine in the system, which in
Dick's case tends to cause dystonia and, lately, dyskinesia.

Dick isn't taking Permax or Parlodel, so we didn't have to wean him off of
one of those.  On behalf of listmembers who have that concern, though, we
asked if Mirapex would be prescribed in addition to or *instead* of Permax or
Parlodel.  Dr. Koller responded that they wouldn't normally prescribe or
recommend two dopamine agonists at the same time.  Again, I'm under the
impression it would simply result in an "overdosed" feeling.

I think it's possible if a PWP ends up adding Mirapex on top of another
dopamine agonist, the results would be uncomfortable, and would lead to the
mistaken impression that the Mirapex was at fault, when in fact the problem
would result from combining the two.

We'll let all of you know how he tolerates it.  However, it really doesn't
sound as if it has much to offer Dick.  With the doctor's blessing, we'll
bail out if the results are anything other than positive.

Margie Swindler     [log in to unmask]