I am interested to see the subject of Eldepryl coming up again. There are
a number of points which should be considered when making your decision:-

I was put on Eldepryl (2 tablets per day) at the time when it became
fashionable -yes, that is the appropriate term- largely because of the
discovery of the effects of the designer drug gone wrong, MPTP.  The
reasoning was: MPTP kills many dopamine-producing cells- so perhaps that
is how PWPs lose their cells.  If it is the reason, Eldepryl would tend
to prevent the MPTP reaction, so let's give it a go.

After a few weeks, I began to notice that I was having vivid semi-waking
nightmares (at that time, no-one knew that you needed to take them before
mid-day it you wanted to avoid the dreams) My reaction was a bit more
decisive: I cut out the evening eldepryl totally, and only took one in
the morning. (End of Dreams) I subsequently learned that the reason that
Eldepryl causes those dreams, and seems to provide an energy boost, and
is quite liked by its users is that as it breaks down in the brain, one
of the reactions  which occurs leads to the formation of Amphetamine
(Speed), hence the weird dreams etc.  I promptly cancelled my remaining
tablet (Nobody messes with my mind if I can help it !!) At about the same
time the notorious news was released about the UK team's finding of a
statistical  relationship resulting in  increased mortality in those
taking Eldepryl and levodopa. Other attempts to reproduce the test
results have failed, but the UK team, are still trying to explain how the
error (if that is what it was) occurred. Apparently some departures from
correct procedure were encountered, but not enough to explain the very
significant mortality rate.  The investigatio Proceeds

 --  Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>n).