Hello! everyone, I just read this and I really do not know what to make
of it, is it for real??  Linda Forrest's Mom

http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/3344a.htm
Sonic Hedgehog Protects Dopaminergic Neurons From Neurotoxin

CAMBRIDGE, MASS. -- July 28, 1997 -- A team of scientists from report in
a scientific paper published in The Journal of Neuroscience that the
protein, Sonic Hedgehog (Shh) is active in promoting the survival of
specific populations of neurons from the midbrain, striatum and spinal
cord in vitro.

The paper, titled, "Sonic Hedgehog Promotes the Survival of Specific CNS
Neuron Populations and Protects These Cells from Toxic Insult In Vitro"
and appears in the journal's August 1, 1997 issue. Significantly, the
report, from the research team at Ontogeny, Inc., led by Drs. Nagesh
Mahanthappa and Kevin Pang, demonstrates that Shh was shown to protect
cultures of midbrain dopaminergic neurons from the toxic effects of
MPP+, a specific neurotoxin that induces Parkinson's disease in vivo.

Previous work has demonstrated that Shh plays a role in inducing
differentiation of dopaminergic neurons in the midbrain and motor
neurons in the spinal cord. The present work suggests a possible role
for Shh in the maintenance and survival of these neurons beyond initial
differentiation. Since human neurodegenerative disorders, such as
Parkinson's disease, are characterized by gradual loss of dopaminergic
neurons in the adult, these results suggest a possible therapeutic role
for Shh.

"We are delighted that these results support the premise that Sonic
Hedgehog has both neurotrophic and neuroprotective activity in addition
to its neuroinductive properties," said Dr. Doros Platika, President and
CEO of Ontogeny. "This provides significant evidence that Shh activity
may not be confined to development and validates our approach for
investigating inducing or developmental control molecules as
therapeutics in degenerative diseases. In collaboration with our partner
Biogen, we hope to confirm these findings in in vivo models of
neurologic disease."

Ontogeny, based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, is a leader in the
pioneering field of developmental biology, using technologies based on
recent breakthroughs in the discovery and identification of inducing
molecules responsible for cell and tissue differentiation. The Company
is commercializing therapeutics for neurological disease, including
Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease, diabetes, and bone and
cartilage problems, including osteoporosis and fractures.

This site is maintained by [log in to unmask]
Please contact us with any comments, problems or bugs.

All contents Copyright (c) 1995 P\S\L Consulting Group Inc. All rights
reserved.