Hello Sue:
You wrote -
>>> Sue Maltais <[log in to unmask]> 07/29/97 09:01am
>>>I have a question...my Dad's been getting blood in his
urine.  The urologist said all tests came back fine.  He read
in one of his PD books that this can be a side effect of the
levadopa.  Anyone else heard of this?<<<

     Absorbed levodopa is removed from the blood through the
action of the kidneys.  The dopamine is converted to a variety
of substances including melanins: colored bits ranging in
color from orange to dark red.  Occasionally the urine shows
as dark red, mistaking it for blood.  This is not caused by
bleeding into the urinary tract. Other than dark urine [and
incontinence], the literature from Merck & Co. does not
indicate side effects such as blood in the urine.
    Blood in the urine, without pain, could indicate prostate or
kidney problems, and should raise a concern about bladder
tumors.  Blood, with pain, could indicate a kidney stone.
Perhaps your father's doctor would give you the citation to
"his PD books" so you can double-check his advice.
Stephan 53/7