> Can you advise me about how to go about contacting the proper
> Microsoft organizationi to request tihese programs?

Hi Milton,

Don't know where you are, probably in the US, huh?

Information on accessibility options for disabled people can be obtained
from

Microsoft Sales Information Center      Voice telephone:        (800) 426-9400
One Microsoft Way                       Text telephone:         (800) 892-5234
Redmond, WA 98052-6393          Fax:                    (206) 635-6100

The programs are in a combined file called "Access Pack for Microsoft
Windows" for Windows 3.1 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11, and in a combined
file called "Access Pack for MS-DOS" for MS-DOS versions 5.xx to 6.xx.

The Access Pack for Windows 95 comes as a part of the installation CD for
Windows 95.  The pack is installed by selecting "Accessibility Options"
when installing Windows 95, or, if Windows 95 has already been installed,
opening the Control Panel, selecting "Add/Remove Programs", "Windows
Setup", "Accessibility Options".  The installed files will occupy about 8
Mb. on the hard disk.

After installation, the individual programs can be installed and set up by
opening the Control Panel, selecting "Accessibility", then selecting the
programs wanted.

The suite features:

Emergency Hot-Keys - an alternate way of activating accessibility features.

For users with low vision:

Scalable user interface elements (fonts, scroll bars, titles, etc.)
Customisable Display for Mouse Pointer (pointer size, pointer colour, speed
of pointer, visible mouse trails, pointer animation)
High-contrast colour schemes
High-contrast mode

For hearing-impaired users:

ShowSounds - a global flag that instructs applications to provide visible
feedback notices to represent system sounds, making the application, in
effect, "closed-captioned."
SoundSentry - tells Windows to send a visual clue such as a blinking
title-bar, or a screen flash, whenever the computer "beeps".
Chat - an application that provides network facilities for up to seven
users, "conversing" simultaneously using a "whiteboard" and keyboard input.

For the physically disabled:

StickyKeys - for situations where two or more keys would normally have to
be pressed at once (eg, CTRL + B for 'bold" in a word processor).  The user
need only press each key in turn; the computer will store them in  a
buffer, and "play" them together when the last key has been pressed.
FilterKeys - has three features - 1. SlowKeys instructs Windows to ignore
keystrokes that are not held down for a minimum time - Avoids the
"stutters" -  2. Repeat keys lets users adjust or disable the repeat-rate
function for keyboards - ideal for users who have slow reactions, and can't
let keys go in time to prevent eeeee, etc., and 3. BounceKeys, for users
with tremor whose fingers tend to "bounce" on the keys when pressed or
released.  It instructs Windows to ignore unintended keystrokes. NOTE: The
FilterKeys functions slow down keyboard input, which can make "normal"
users go ballistic, but the programs feature adjustments hat can be made to
turn each feature "on" or "off", depending on the user.

MouseKeys enables users to use the numeric keypad, to the right of the
alphanumeric keys, as a substitute for a mouse.  Arrow keys move the mouse
pointer in the direction indicated, the "5" button acts as a single mouse
"click", with combinations of other keys providing "drag-and-drop",
"selecting" and "jumping" Holding down the "SHIFT" key enables the mouse
pointer to be moved a pixel at a time.  I use the MouseKeys function for
greater accuracy in fine graphics.

Alternate input devices are also catered for:

SerialKeys supports such devices as "speech-to-text".
Alternative pointing devices such as head-pointers or "eye-gaze" systems
are supported.
Alternative Keyboard layouts such as Dvorjak, and keyboard layouts (left
and right) for single-handed users  are also supported.

The TRACE R&D Center at the University of Wisconsin-Madison produces a book
and a CD that describe products that help disabled people use computers.
The book, "TRACE Resource Book", provides photos and descriptions of about
2,000 products.  The CD "CO-NET CD", provides a database of over 18,000
products and other information for users with disabilities.

The TRACE R&D Centre can be contacted at

Trace R&D Center        Voice telephone: (608) 263-2309
S-151 Waisman Center    Text Telephone:  (608) 263-5408
1500 Highland Avenue    Fax:             (608) 262-8848

The various Microsoft Access Packs (nothing to do with the Access database,
application, incidentally) can be downloaded from any of the national
Microsoft Web sights, I believe, or from http://www.microsoft.com.

I have installed accessing-device hardware and software for totally deaf
users, unsighted and poorly-sighted users, paraplegics and quadriplegics.
I never cease to be amazed and impressed by the determination, courage and
immense patience of such people, who often use the customised systems to
carry out paid work, or to assist in gaining university degrees, etc.

(BTW, I have no financial interest in any of the hardware, software, or
organisations mentioned above, and any services for the disabled are
performed free of charge - how could I charge anyone in the same need as
myself?)

Jim

 James F. Slattery, J.P., M.A.C.S.
 JandA Computing Consultancy