hi patricia

-----part one---chocolate------------------------------------

>Hooray!  Chocolate is OK!  Thanks for the encouraging words
>about its possible merits. Yum!

this quote echoes my feelings nicely in re chocolate:
~~~
i believe
that chocolate
is a force for good in the world
-ashleigh brilliant
~~~

-----part two---birth order----------------------------------

>I'll try one more time since I like the birth order idea.
>How many years between you and your sibling?
>You may not be the youngest but a new family started.

persistence sometimes pays, but not this time!
and
you got pretty close, but no cigar!

my oldest 'step-sister' was ten years older, born in 1937
the middle sister is four years older, born in 1943
and i was born in 1947,
[on the cutting edge of the baby boom]

and for whatever it may be worth
neither of my sisters displayed any particular interest
in neatening and organizing
they thought/think i'm odd!

-----part three---hormones----------------------------------

>Have you started Hormone Replacement Therapy? ("HRT)
>I started when I was 51, It does help.

hmmmmm
so you started hrt before you were diagnosed with pd?
had you noticed pd symptoms for very long before the diagnosis?
and are you still on hrt now?

i was diagnosed in 1988 at age 41, but was definitely feeling symptoms in
1985 at age 38
which leads me to something i've been wondering about recently

-----part four---pd cause?--------------------------------

it seems to me that in broad terms, parkies tend to have either the
'tremour type' of pd
or the 'bradykinesia' type, and that younger onset parkies [dx before 50?]
tend to the 'bradykinesia' type and that the older onset parkies tend to
the 'tremour' type

i also gained the impression somewhere that younger parkies may be more
frequently able to relate a head injury or chemical exposure prior to onset
of symptoms than older parkies

makes me wonder about 'trauma induced' pd as opposed to 'natural-aging' pd?

[when i was first diagnosed, the neuro said that since pd's brain cell
deterioration seems to be part of the aging process, everyone would
eventually get pd, if they could only live long enough!]

so if all these impressions of mine are right, i fit the bill perfectly:

1.      a head injury AND pesticide exposure in 1981, at age 34
2.      first 'slowness' symptoms in 1985, at age 38
3.      diagnosis in 1988, at age 41
4.      primary symptom: bradykinesia; virtually no tremour
5.      other common symptoms absent: speech problems; constipation

hmmmm
i wonder if it's time for another unofficial survey?
any comments out there, sibs?

your syber sis

janet