Linda
I had to respond to y our  post as you are caring a heavy load (my mother was
alcoholic and I tried to be her 'rescuer'.  After years I learned from
al=anon that trying to control her or pour out the liquer did not do any
good,  I know you did not say he was alcoholic but his excessive drinking is
causing you concern.
I am sure this list will be a great comfort to you as the PDers can relate to
his depression and probably respond with ideas.
But know I care and it is so important to take care of yourself-post the
serenity prqyer where you can read it daily.  I'm sure you have read it but
it basically says:
Accept the things you cannot change and the wisdom to know the difference.
Mary CG for Mel 76/11