If you look down through the list you'll notice an inkshedder here.

> Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (STLHE)
> c/o Instructional Development Centre, McMaster University Hamilton,
> Ontario  L8S 4K1 (905) 525-9140, ext. 24540 Fax: (905) 546-9995
>
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
> Date:     July 21, 1997
> Contact:  Dale E. Roy
>
>               1997 3M TEACHING FELLOWSHIPS ANNOUNCED
>
> Hamilton, ON 3M Canada and the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher
> Education today have announced the names of the 1997 3M Teaching Fellows.
>
> One hundred and twenty Canadian university educators, representing 34
> different universities have been recognized by this award since its
> inception in 1986.  The Fellowship includes teachers of veterinary
> medicine, engineering, business, humanities, agriculture, the social
> sciences, medicine, the sciences, nursing, education, law and dentistry.
> The award is given to individuals who not only excel in the teaching of
> their own courses but also demonstrate an exceptionally high degree of
> leadership and commitment to the improvement of university teaching across
> disciplines.
>
> This year, a total of 65 nominations were received from 31 Canadian
> universities, and the 1997 recipients are:
>
>     Stephen Brown, English Literature, Trent University
>     Meredith Cherland, Faculty of Education, University of Regina

> **  Aviva Freedman, Linguistics and Applied Language Studies,
Carleton University **

>     Guy Gaudreau, Deepartement d'histoire, Universiete Laurentienne
>     Thomas MacRae, Biology, Dalhousie University
>     Anthony Marini, Division of Teacher Preparation, University of Calgary
>     Anne Naeth, Renewable Resources, University of Alberta
>     Andree eSegal,e Departement d'histoire, Univeresite Laval
>     Donald Trim, Applied Mathematics, University of Manitoba
>     Donald Westwood, Architecture, Carleton University
>
> The 3M Fellows' first engagement is an exclusive 3-day retreat at the
> Chaateau Montebello, November 2-4, 1997.  The retreat is designed to
> celebrate the outstanding achievements of the Fellows and to provide an
> opportunity for the Fellows to share their experience.  STLHE and 3M
> Canada will host an awards banquet for Fellowship recipients on Monday,
> November 3rd.
>                               - 30 -

Knowing a little about the context at Carleton, I can hardly imagine
a more appropriate recipient than Aviva.   Way to go, eh?

                                        -- Russ
                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_           Aquinas Chair
St. Thomas University      )_ __)_|_)__ __)  PHONE: (506) 452-0424
Fredericton, New Brunswick   |  )____) |       FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          ___|____|____|____/    [log in to unmask]
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.StThomasU.ca/hunt/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~