Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 10:42:23 +0100
From: Ruth Evans <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Call for papers: Leeds IMC 1998

I am organizing a special session--'Medieval English Drama:
Rereadings'--for next year's Leeds International Medieval Congress, 13-16
July 1998. I am soliciting 3 20-minute papers for the session, the title of
which has been deliberately left very open.

Please email me with descriptive titles before 1 September 1997 (note: I've
extended the date from an earlier posting on other lists). If you are able
to include an abstract, that would be very helpful, but a brief description
(say, 1 or 2 sentences) of your paper will be sufficient at this stage. I
won't ask for full abstracts until later because of the short time. If you
don't have a title, but are interested in speaking, please email me anyway
with your proposal or just to talk through possibilities.

Session rationale: I am looking for new readings of Middle English drama
texts that are interested equally in cultural history/historical
difference, theory, and textuality. Papers that work within theatre history
but with an awareness of critical theory and a strong desire to produce
'literary' readings will be especially welcome. Any redefining of the
projects of theatre and performance history would be useful. Such readings
are being produced, but are as yet having little impact on the field. One
aim of this session would be to think about how such new readings might
effect a shift in critical thinking about the early drama.

Ruth Evans
Lecturer in English Literature
School of English, Communication and Philosophy
University of Wales Cardiff
PO Box 94
CARDIFF
CF1 3XB