HI Janet,

Thanks for your welcome back and certainly I am not regretting it.  I
have found a lot of friends here who I missed during my 2 week absence.
Your perspective is helpful.  I cannot make the cognitive shift that you
make to feel that PD is a gift.  I can at times appreciate the
advantages like my pending early retirement that is relatively
financially secure with my disability insurance income,  but no matter
how I look at it the loss of my practice, and to a large extent my
personal identity by far outweighs that. I don't think my problem is
societal expectations.  The issue is not as much what I "should do"  but
rather what I enjoyed doing and got a great deal of satisfaction from.
The fact that I am no longer able to work with patients is a loss for me
that has to be mourned.

I am not angry about having PD so much as- like George Andes- frustrated
by the ongoing loss of abilities I once had.  I had polio as a kid and
always walked with a substantial limp.  Yet I never viewed myself as
disabled!  I didn't go through the repeated losses that I have with PD.
At 9 years old I lost substantial function but from that time on I was
gaining.  The denial was usually adaptive and led to "Progress".  That
mechanism doesn't work for me as my independence continually is eroded.
That has little to do with "shoulds" but instead loss.

Regarding the question of the effect this is having on my wife, we talk
openly about our feelings to each other so I am projecting only a small
part.  She goes through the pain of loss of parts of me function by
function.  She doesn't love me any less but she goes through the pain of
watching someone she loves deteriorating.  While she is able to take
over much of what I used to do, it is difficult.  In addition,  I am not
as responsive.  PD has flattened my visible affect so that she has
difficulty reading the non-verbal cues of what I am feeling.  While, if
I was a psychoanalyst that might have been a gift, in normal human
relations it is a disaster.  I have heard mourning as the loss of the
dream as to what might have been.  The chances of us doing in our
retirement years anything close to what we would have liked to do are
small.

Yes,  we do have a lot of things we can do and the picture is far from
totally bleak,  but the loss is there and needs to be mourned by both of
us as part of the process of living with PD rather than dying from it.

Thanks for stimulating me to think through my ideas and to put them in
writing.

Charlie

--

CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.