     TO: ALL LIST MEMBERS -
Continuing the thread from the 8/1 posting by Margaret
Tuchman <[log in to unmask]>
 She wrote:
http://www.tulane.edu/~aau/LatestNews.html
>>>The Public Health and Safety Subcommittee of the
Senate Labor and Human Resources Committee 7/24 held
the second of three planned NIH reauthorization hearings.
This hearing focused on the coordination of research
conducted in multiple NIH institutes. Three case studies
were featured: bioengineering and biomedical imaging,
Parkinson's disease, and pediatrics.
>>>The morning of the hearing, the Congressional Monitor
quoted panel chairman Bill Frist (R-TN) as saying he and full
committee chairman James Jeffords (R-VT) were unified in
wanting to minimize congressional micromanagement of
NIH's research directions, and in wanting to avoid excessive
earmarking of research funds. During the hearing itself, panel
member Dan Coats (R-IN) echoed this theme by reiterating
his own concerns about finding ways to determine NIH's
funding needs objectively. Coats complained that, by
adopting a "disease of the month" mentality, Congress was
making decisions for NIH based on personal, emotional and
political reasons rather than scientific reasons.<<<

       Recently, after I wrote three letters in two months,  the
AARP in Washington, D.C. stated what its position is on the
Udall bill.  In a letter, Kevin J. Donnellan, Director of
Advocacy and Legislation, stated,  "Rather than endorse a
disease-specific approach to research funding, AARP has
decided to generally support adequate funding for all of the
diseases, such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, which
impact older Americans."
       Combined with the PAN synopsis of the 7/24 Senate
subcommittee testimony from Zach Hall (NINDS/NIH), it is
crystal clear that the NIH [with the support of Senators
Jeffords and Coates] is pressing for total autonomy in
allocating their research funds.  Clearly 'medical politics,' and
not need would be the first consideration in the design of
research grants [Lord Acton warned: "Power corrupts,
Absolute power corrupts absolutely."].  Who's watching the
NIH?  More important: what does this mean for the chances
of passage of the Udall bill?
         FELLOW LIST MEMBERS, CYBER-SYBLINGS,
CAREGIVERS, MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS, OF ALL
AGES AND GENDERS . . . now is the time to pressure your
Senators and Representatives to cosponsor and vote for the
Udall bill.  Congress is in recess for much of August.  Your
legislators are in their home districts drumming up support
for the next election.  Visit their offices, go to their
appearances and town meetings and demand support for the
Udall bill.

Stephan Schwartz 53/7  <[log in to unmask]>