What causes this tingling in my legs?
-By Dr. Mitchell Hecht
Knight-Ridder/Tribune News Service
(KRT)

Q. I have to get up several times during the night to walk and stretch
out my legs because of a strange itchy, crawling, tingling sensation
inside my calves and thighs. There=92s no pain or muscle cramps, and I=92ve
had it for years. What causes this, and can anything be done?
M.S.

A. Some of my readers may think that your unusual complaints are =93in
your head.=94 Admittedly, the symptoms could seem bizarre to someone
unfamiliar with your disorder. But I know this is =93for real=94 and, in
fact, the estimated 12 million Americans who also suffer with it know it
too.
You have a condition known as =93Restless Leg Syndrome=94. And yes, it is a
real disorder. Some describe it as =93ants in the pants=94. Some describe it
as a =93feeling that worms are crawling up and down the legs=94. When it was
first described, the bizarre symptoms were blamed on everything from
anxiety or depression to attention-seeking behavior. We now know that
Restless Leg Syndrome, or RLS, is likely due to an abnormality in the
brain related to low levels of the nerve transmitter Dopamine.
Research has shown that this problem can run in families, and is linked
to the body=92s sleep-wake cycles =97 worse in late evening/nighttime and
disappearing just before sunrise.
It seems to get worse with prolonged sitting or lying in bed. Children
can be affected as well as adults, but the symptoms seem to get worse
with age. The strange sensations disappear when the person walks around
or rubs the legs, but they seem to return within a few minutes. Pain
medications and tranquilizers have been tried with some success. But
stretching the legs before going to bed or taking a hot bath nightly to
relax the muscles seems to help even more. Recently, Neurologists have
been using two Parkinson=92s Disease medications =97 Sinemet and Pergolide =
=97
to raise Dopamine levels and bring some relief of symptoms.
But for many patients like yourself, the trick is to find a non-drug
solution while sleeping, sitting at a desk, riding in a car, or sitting
through movies. I=92d recommend that you talk with your family doctor or
see a neurologist to discuss RLS and your treatment options.
For the latest information on this strange but surprisingly common
disorder, contact the Restless Leg Syndrome Foundation, Dept W.-P.O. Box
7050 Rochester MN 55903-7050.
(A special thank you to =93Dr. C,=94 our neighborhood neurologist, for his
consultation.)