Charlie, Ida, Janet, Sonia, et al, who answered my post "hard times."

I had no idea that my use of the S word would lead to such a large number
and variety of semi-private revelations.  Apparently I mentioned the
Emperor's new clothes without knowing it.  "Everything's up to date in
Kansas City."  Good gracious, what won't they think of next.

On the matter of gifts.  They come unexpectedly.  The Almighty is not to be
interrogated,as Job discovered.  Nor may we flee his presence, as Jonah
found to his dismay.  It must have been very difficult to speak, much less
to pray, from the belly of a whale, even though it certainly fits Dr.
Johnson's description of a situation that concentrates the mind
wonderfully.

I call my PD a gift.  That bothers my wife. All the days of my life I have
lived in favor with the Gods.  I was born into the American middle class; I
had loving parents, graduated from college, married a loving woman;
together we have raised four fine children. I have  spent my life doing
what I loved, teaching school.  As in all lives, there have been rocky
times, and I have never been, nor ever will be, wealthy but who is to say
that my,life has not been blessed.

Having supped with the Gods shall I now complain that my dessert wine is sour?
As Rob't Burns says "The best laid plans of mice and men / gang oft agley /
and lea'e us naught but grief and pain / for promised joy.

I do not like my PD.  It has robbed me of my independence, taken pleasure
from my life, stripped away my self-confidence, sapped my energy, depressed
my family, separated me from my friends, driven me from my profession, and
darkened my future.  It has also forced me to look, unblinking, into the
mirror of self-revelation until I see myself as I am.

That's all folks.

George Andes  63/15 and counting