Janet - Thanks for the info.  I think a lot of list members have probably
seen news reports (of varying accuracy) about the FDA approval of thalamic
stimulation.

>The effect was greatest for essential tremor, where testing showed patients
>could write, pour liquids without spilling and perform other tasks
>significantly better after the implant. Parkinson's patients' trembling
>also was eased, but the implant didn't help other symptoms such as the
>rigidity that also impedes their ability to write and perform other tasks.

None of the news reports mentioned pallidal stimulation for the treatment of
PD.  It's still experimental, but appears to control tremors as well as other
PD symptoms.  Before rushing out to sign up for thalamic stimulation, PWP
might want to check into the availability of pallidal stimulation.  It's
currently being done at the University of Kansas Medical Center as well as
somplace in Minnesota, I believe.  Anyone know where?

Sincerely, Margie Swindler    [log in to unmask]