David, Charlie, and listfriends -

Your discussion of frustration with loss of the ability to do what you once
did gives me the opportunity to say a public thank you and an "atta boy" to
my husband, Dick (52/15).  We're remodeling our house once again, and I
admire his perseverence in doing as much as he can do of it himself.  This is
the 7th house we've remodeled, and the third remodeling on this house.  As
you might imagine, it's something we've been doing for years.  As you can
also imagine, every bit of it is a lot harder for Dick than it used to be.
This time, for the record, we've paid plumbers, carpenters, electricians, and
sheetrockers to come in and do the bulk of the work.  But we've done some of
the carpentry ourselves, and some of the sheetrock,  and Dick started
painting today.  He'll end up repainting all the hallways and several rooms.
 Then he or we will cut and fit the moldings.

Although his balance isn't good, he did fine up on the ladder working on
ceilings and other high places.  If he lost his balance, he could always
catch himself against the wall.  His doctor had to bite his tongue to keep
from telling him to stay off ladders, and just warned him instead to be very,
very careful.  I wished afterward I'd reminded the doctor that he'd probably
had 10 falls up the stairs in the past couple of weeks, versus 0 falls off
the ladder!

Like the rest of you, Dick is frustrated by what he can't do anymore.  He
found he can't plaster (or so he says - hmmm....), and has difficulty
hammering or scraping.  In fact, any repetitive back-and-forth movement is
difficult to impossible.  But he has learned that an electric screwdriver
works well for him, so he screws things instead of nailing them.  Or I can
always pound the nails for him.  I do all the ceramic tile work on walls and
floors, but I've always done that, so that's no change.

This was longer than I intended (as always), but the last thing I want to say
is that Dick was sure he couldn't do any of this work anymore until he tried
it.  Once he tried it, he found there was a lot he could still do, even if he
had to adapt his methods and have much shorter work days.  I know he feels
good about what he has accomplished, and I want him to know how proud I am of
him both for the effort and for his accomplishments.

Margie Swindler      [log in to unmask]