hi george

>On the matter of gifts. They come unexpectedly.

you could apply that to all aspects of life
we can plan and hope and attempt to harness the future
till we're blue in the face
but the reality is
we're not the ones in the driver's seat
none of us knows what's around the next corner
or over the next hill

all we have is today
there's no point in worrying about the past and the future
it's a waste of precious time and energy

~~~
>The best laid plans of mice and men
>gang oft agley
>and lea'e us naught but grief and pain
>for promised joy
~~~

exactly!
but a question is
who made the promises
and created the expectations?

i also like a toast of burns' [i believe]
that my glaswegian grandmother, the esteemed janet paterson, used:

~~~
here's to us was like us
and de'il the yin
~~~

my translation/spelling may not be exact
but i believe that the intent is
"here's to us and our 'kindred'
and to the devil with the rest"

i interpret it further as
"the only opinions that matter
are your own and those of the ones you love"

worrying about the opinions of others
is just another waste of precious time and energy

>it has also forced me to look, unblinking,
>into the mirror of self-revelation
>until I see myself as I am

this is one of those "aha!!" moments,
which reminds me of maya angelou's words:
[when she has an "aha" moment, it's an "AHA" moment!]

~~~
We, this people, on this wayward, floating body
Created on this earth, of this earth
have the power to fashion for this earth
A climate where every man and every woman
Can live freely without sanctimonious piety
And without crippling fear
When we come to it

We must confess that we are the possible
We are the miraculous, the true wonders of this world
That is when, and only when
We come to it.
~~~
from A Brave and Startling Truth
~~~

i consider it a rare privilege to be able to participate
in a phenomenon such as this list
and pd was part of the road i was taken on to get here

thanks, george

your syber-sis

janet