George,

You wrote:

>  It has also forced me to look, unblinking, into the
> mirror of self-revelation until I see myself as I am.

I too see seeing myself as I am as a gift, in part because I
have chosen to.  I also beleave that, in so far as it has
contibuted to my self-knowledge, PD is also a gift*.  At
various times and in various ways it has been suggested
that I am either a fool or a saint for having this point-of-view.
Hopefully I am not a fool, sadly I am not a saint.  What I am
is someone who sees a gift as something received, unrequested,
which contributes to my eventual good.  The trick is in learning
how to recognize a gift when it presents itself (this ability is a gift
in itself).

Of course those who do not see self-knowledge as a desirable aim,
or who may have already acheived it by some other means, will be
hard put to find anything good about PD.

Finally, I would be happier if whoever is bestowing these gifts would
keep in mind that however grateful I am for this chance to grow, I
would rather pay any costs myself.  The current system spreads them
to wide.

Dennis.

* (as witness my poem "I didn't come here for this", posted
to this list some month's ago).

Dennis Greene 47/10
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/