I have been pondering how to describe the special moment that many of us =
experienced in Washington on July 15, for the next edition of our local =
newsletter. Even saying that it was one of the most inspirational days =
of my life doesn't quite do it justice.  I finally think that I have =
come up with the proper description.  Imagine the euphoria you might =
experience if you were absolutely convinced that there was going to be a =
cure for Parkinson's disease very soon.  On Tuesday evening July 15 a =
group of advocates numbering slightly over fifty shared that experience =
with hugs for everyone and tears in everyone's eyes.  Tuesday July began =
with one of the senior staffers of Senator Wellstone's office telling a =
crowd of about 70 advocates that for some pieces of legislation it all =
comes together and you know that it is the right time to move a Bill.  =
It was her opinion that this was the time for the Udall Bill. =20

After several presentations dealing with the current state of =
Parkinson's research (and each of these were very encouraging), Senator =
McCain, the former prison of war  in Vietnam and personal friend of Mo =
Udall, told us how we were going to see this Bill passed in the Senate.

We then spread out onto Capitol Hill and commenced to sign up three new =
Senators and over 30 new Representatives.  I was in the hotel lobby and =
received reports from each of the groups as they returned from Capitol =
Hill.  That afternoon's work gave us a clear majority of cosponsors of =
the Udall Bill in both houses.  That in itself was reason for =
celebration.  But the best was yet to come. =20

Senator Wellstone joined us for dinner.  His unwavering dedication stems =
in part from both his parents having had Parkinson's disease.  Senator =
Wellstone is an emotional man and an inspirational speaker.  He was on =
top of his game that evening.  He received six standing ovations, each =
one with the thundering response louder than the previous one.  When he =
finished everyone in that room knew that they were experiencing one of =
life's magical moments.  I have always spoken positively about the =
potential for a cure for Parkinson's in the near future.  That evening I =
was absolutely certain.

I  wish that I could bottle that energy and conviction to share with all =
those who suffer with this sinister disease and all of the dedicated =
researchers attempting to put the many pieces to the Parkinson's puzzle =
together.