Action Advisory - Parkinson's Action Network

Sample Cosponsor Thank You Letter

August (date), 1997
The Honorable____________
United States Senate
Washington, DC 20510
or
The Honorable _______________
United States House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Senator/Representative (your Senator/your Representative):

I am writing to thank you for your decision to cosponsor the Morris K. Udall
Parkinson's Research Act of 1997 (S.535 and H.R.1260).  In doing so, you have
endorsed legislation critical to the Parkinson's community, and become a
valuable part of the fight against Parkinson's disease and its devastating
personal, physical, and social implications..

(Insert personal testimony here, e.g.:) As you know, Parkinson's disease is a
progressive, debilitating neurological disorder that eventually robs its
patients of physical mobility and independence.  Currently affecting
approximately one million Americans and their families--with 50,000 more
diagnosed each year--Parkinson's costs the nation an estimated $25 Billion
annually in health and disability expenses, Social Security Insurance and
disability Insurance, Medicare and Medicaid, and Lost productivity.

I have lived with and suffered from /(witnessed my
sibling/spouse/parent/friend live with and suffer from)Parkinson's disease
for (x)years, and sadly, over the course of that time have experienced a
severe decline in my /(witnessed a severe decline in his/her) quality of life
and involvement in civic life.  In cosponsoring the Udall bill, you have
taken an important step toward ensuring that the research needed to find a
cause will be conducted, and have given us hope that one day soon, a cure
will be found--returning me (my loved-one) to my (his/her)productive place in
society.

On behalf of the hundreds/thousands of Parkinson's patients in (your
district/state), I applaud your support, and encourage you to serve as an
advocate for Parkinson's disease and the Udall bill among your colleagues on
the Hill.

Sincerely,

(Your name, address and phone number)
-----------------------