Wonderful news for one group! Let's write letters, call our congressmen
and generally make some noise!

Margaret
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

 Clinton trumpets diabetes research
 provision of new budget
 3.32 p.m. EDT (1932 GMT) August 8, 1997

 WASHINGTON (AP) =97 President Clinton put a human face
 on the balanced budget deal Friday in praising $2 billion in
 new federal funding to fight diabetes.=20

 "When I lived in Arkansas I used to sing in the church choir
 with a man who had to quit singing because of
 complications from diabetes. I have vivid memories of ...
 the pain on his face,'' said Clinton in a speech given at
 Georgetown University Medical Center.=20

 The president, standing before a red, white and blue placard
 touting the funding as a "dividend for Americans of a
 balanced budget,'' said he hoped victims of the crippling
 and often deadly disease will have "longer, happier, richer
 lives'' as a result of the extra research and care.=20

 Finding new money to fight diabetes =97 the seventh leading
 cause of death in the United States =97 was a priority of
 both Democrats and Republicans as they worked to forge
 the balanced budget bill signed into law Tuesday, Clinton
 said.=20

 House Speaker Newt Gingrich, R-Ga., whose
 mother-in-law is diabetic, was "one of the very first people
 who spoke to me about the human dimensions of the
 disease,'' said the president.=20

 Clinton said the $2 billion will be spent on three programs:

 =97Expanding Medicare benefits for the estimated 3 million
 senior citizens diagnosed with diabetes. Coverage will now
 include medical monitoring equipment and instructions on
 how to manage self-care.=20

 =97Increasing funding by $150 million to combat Type one
 juvenile onset diabetes. About half of all Type one diabetes
 sufferers are children.=20

 =97Offering a $150 million grant for diabetes prevention
 and treatment over five years to the Indian Health Service.=20

 "Native Americans are three times as likely as white
 Americans to have this disease, and far less likely to find
 adequate medical treatment for it,'' said Clinton.=20

 Also, the National Institutes of Health will convene an
 international workshop next month "to discuss the most
 promising avenues of diabetes research,'' the president said.

 And the Department of Health and Human Services will
 work with the American Diabetes Association and other
 private organizations to establish guidelines for diabetes
 care and the prevention of such severe complications as
 blindness and amputation.=20

 Among those appearing with Clinton were actress Mary
 Tyler Moore, who chairs the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation
 International, and Sandra Puczynski of Sylvania, Ohio, the
 mother of a thirteen-year-old with diabetes.=20

 "Until today, I could never completely assure (my
 daughter) that a cure was in her grasp,'' said Puczynski.
 "This announcement sends a powerful and compassionate
 message to millions of Americans.''=20

             =A9 1997 Associated Press. All rights reserved.
     This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or=
 redistributed.

     =A9 FOX News Network 1997. All rights reserved. [log in to unmask]
                  About FOX News Internet

Margaret Tuchman (55yrs, Dx 1980)- NJ-08540