hi camilla

you said:
>   3.  His neuro, who had read the package insert but had no other experience
>       with Mirapex refused my suggestion (based on the listmember's posts)
>       that Sinemet be reduced right away. He wanted to "see how P. does
>       till next appointment",which isn't until 8/22!  Thus P. was getting a
>       dose of dopa which may have put him over the top, plus the bladder
>       infection.  Small wonder he had a problem?

small wonder indeed!

in a news article posted recently about mirapex/pramipexole,
the anticipated reduction in levodopa requirement was 27 percent!

if peter's levodopa dosage was not reduced,
i think that might qualify as a strong likelihood for levodopa overdose!

viz:
>Date:          Thu, 17 Jul 1997 12:20:23 -0300
>Subject:       NEWS: Pramipexole - news from Phoenix
>Use Of Pramipexole Improves Symptoms
>In Advanced Parkinson's Patients On Levodopa
>WESTPORT, Jul 17 (Reuters) - Last week, Reuters Health reported
>on a study published in JAMA that showed that pramipexole is
>safe and effective short-term treatment for patients with
>early-stage Parkinson's disease. Researchers in Phoenix, Arizona,
>now report that use of pramipexole, administered concurrently with
>levodopa, improves the management of patients with advanced
>Parkinson's disease and allows for a reduction in levodopa dosage.
>
>Dr. Abraham Lieberman of the St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical
>Center in Phoenix and other investigators in the Pramipexole
>Study Group examined the efficacy of pramipexole in combination
>with levodopa in the management of advanced Parkinson's.
>Their findings appear in the July issue of Neurology.
>... snip ...
>
>Pramipexole was specifically effective in improving resting tremor,
>rigidity, and limb bradykinesia, according to Dr. Lieberman
>and colleagues. Moreover, "...addition of pramipexole
>resulted in a 27% reduction in the dosage of levodopa."
>
> ... snip ...
>
>Neurology 1997;49:162-168.
>Copyright 1997 Reuters Limited.

there, but for grace, ...

my quote for the day:

---
the illiterate of the 21st century
will not be those who cannot read and write
but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn

Alvin Toffler
---

with love and yet more evidence of my stubborn-ness
from peter's and your syber sis

janet