Janet Patterson writes:

>did you manage to get anything clarified about the timing of the eldepryl?
>it's bugging the hell out of me
>
>if in fact his meds are a key factor behind his problems
>most of that dark cloud [possibly] [likely] could be blasted away
>and then who cares about
>the lining?
>
>i have declared my nosy-ness and stubborn-ness to the list in general
>now you, you lucky thing, get to experience it in person!!

Janet,

I have not asked Ron's neuro, who happens to also be my neuro, about the
timing of the Eldepryl yet. The Home Health nurse and I discussed it, her
opinion was that it would not adversely affect his sleep when combined with
Olanzepine, which I guess will knock him out. This does not ring true to me,
for one, as I was cleaning up the house yesterday I noticed that Ron's bed
hadn't been slept in, and that jiggled the memory that I have NEVER seen his
bed rumpled or disturbed. (And he just ain't that good a housekeeper) Also,
as noted, the washout period for Eldepryl is so long, what purpose is served
by staggering the dose?

 Yesterday I brought him home for the afternoon, mainly so I could prevent
any more crises, and spending a few hours with him was a real eye-opener. I
knew he was properly medicated since I had personally put the pills in his
mouth. As soon as his sinemet kicked in, he got really sleepy and passed out
on the couch for 2 hours. When he woke up he went to the rest room for what
started to seem like another 2 hours, my husband had to finally go in and
help him off the floor where he had fallen and frozen.

Your point about his meds actually being the problem has a lot of merit,
especially in that they may be contributing to a serious sleep disorder,
which is definitely aggravating a paranoid tendency. As I write his neighbor
just called to say he checked in and found Ron naked and frozen to his
kitchen floor, since 2 am according to Ron. His 10 pm meds were still in the
envelope.

It has been hard to accept, but no matter what the root of these problems,
they will not be corrected until he is in a controlled and supervised
situation. I have stressed to his brother that the place that he chooses for
Ron in Dallas must be PD-savvy, or he is doomed. Does anyone know of a good
home or facility in the Dallas/Plano area?

Ron has asked me "Is there a chance I will get better?" I don't know, but I
sense that the answer is Yes, maybe not better enough to live alone again,
but at least better enough to regain a life that is not a crazy
roller-coaster of psychotic episodes and freezing interludes. As Joyce used
to say "What a way to live..."

Yeh, where is Joyce?

Kathie Tollifson
47/9